No one can tell me that the forest scene from Hot Rod wasn't the funniest thing they've ever seen. Because it was. I laughed for probably a straight hour. And it's been six months since I've seen the movie. And I still laugh.
The feels when a teacher assigns homework over break
Man, if I had an actual band, this would be pretty cool. Check out this fictional album cover! Dropping February 30th, 2016
Well, as I was crawling along interstate 70 this morning to school I was listening to some wonderful NPR (bless this radio station that always gives me something to listen to when the other stations are all on commercials and I run out of CDs to listen to). So you could say I had a few things to think about this morning.
They were talking about an airline flight that went down in Germany. And of course this would freak me out normally, but it just so happens that I bought my tickets to LA a few days ago so it kinda took me off guard. And then the next topic was that of Ohio trying to implement transgender bathrooms. Which I thought was awesome that it's finally trying to get passed! But a representative said Cincinnati was 'not ready' for such a bill. I guess they have to choose their battles to fight. But eventually they just have to pass it and deal with the consequences.
On a lighter side of things, I was making breakfast this morning (a beautiful combination of cheerios and banana bread muffins) and saw the bananas lying on my counter. I saw those and immediately thought of the wonderful Arrested Development and Bluth's Original Frozen Banana Stand. Because we as we all know, there's always money in the banana stand.
Now for some trending topics from around the globe I found...
On Twitter, here are the top 5.
1. #Germanwings -- Germanwings is a low-cost German airliner. This is trending because one of the planes crashed this morning over France. This would impact a lot of airliners (United, Southwest, etc.) because with a few flights going missing and now one crashing people might not be as willing to fly.
2. #Happy19thBirthdayJackJohnson -- This probably is trending because this is indeed the day Jack Johnson was born and fans all over the world want to wish him a happy birthday. This might impact Jack Johnson himself. It would increase his exposure to people who are not aware of him and might boost sales.
3. #SheDontKnowOniTunes -- An example that goes right along with #2. She Don't Know is a song that just released on iTunes. That is partly why it is popular; it's also popular because Jack Johnson is featured in it and he is also trending right now because it's his birthday.
4. #LIAMHASNOCHILL -- This was inspired when Liam Payne, a member of One Direction, responded back to a Justin Beiber fan that threw a tweet out saying he would never be as popular as Justin. Liam responded back with 'how many times have i been arrested' and that started a war between the two sides. This might impact the campaigns of both stars; it would get them more awareness but also might have a negative impact on sales if it gets out of hand.
5. #InternetASong -- this is a trend where people take a popular song title and 'internet-ify' it. For example, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is changed to "Smells Like Meme Spirit." This would impact the people that own the original songs because it could perhaps trigger a song for someone and they might go and buy it.
Now for Google trends...
1. Darren Sharper -- Sharper is a former football player who recently was tried for a 4-state, 9-case sexual assault/rape case. He entered an Arizona plea deal and was sentenced to 9 years in prison. This will affect things like the National Football League, since one of their former players was charged for rape and imprisoned. This might decrease the people behind the organization and the players therein.
2. National Puppy Day -- This is popular most likely because yesterday was indeed National Puppy Day, so it is obvious why people would be celebrating and sharing their puppies on the internet. This might affect pet stores since people might want to adopt a puppy (PetCo, Humane Society) and small pet accessory companies who sell dog toys, treats, or clothes because people would want to buy something for their puppy for their big day.
3. Bloodbourne -- This is a video game that was just released today, so it is no wonder people are talking about it. It's a game from a major producer for the PS4 so it has had a big campaign and is show to a lot of people. This would definitley effect Sony since this is a big day for sales; it might also effect video game shops (Gamestop) rack up a few sales for people who ordered through their shop.
4. NASCAR -- this company is a HUGE deal to many racing fans and it's no wonder that people would be talking about it at any certain point in time. However, this spike in searches is because of a cation that NASCAR claimed during one of their races that looked controversial. This would hurt NASCAR itself; people might start to not attend events and uphold a company that makes such a sketchy decision.
5. The Voice -- People are talking about his TV show because right now they are in the middle of their season. It is also just after an episode day (they premiere on Mondays and Tuesdays). This would impact TV shows and the stations that host it. With more views comes more money and merchandising gets easier.
So there’s this thing that recently came out...namely the Interstellar Z+ app for either Android or iOS. I’ve been a fan of Hans Zimmer most of my conscious life and let me tell you, I was pumped to hear he was releasing some cool new app to listen to his movie scores on (especially this last one for Interstellar--gorgeous movie with an amazing score)! I had already bought the CD (let’s face it, I HAD to buy the CD so I could blast it in my car as I was driving around town) but thankfully the CD allowed me to download all the songs on the app for free! Woot woot! So this is where the delving into the app begins…
Now, the opening of the app is something actually super cool. The app itself is cooling but let me just tell ya, the opening is what really sold it to me. Hans starts out the app with just a little video intro explaining some stuff about how he’s revolutionized the listening experience through this app. It offers the ability to hear the score like it would sound in surround sound. He wanted the world to hear what it was like to sit in his chair at his studio when he was composing his music.
The intro just takes you through all the different surround sound locations. It’s pretty cool that something like this app can make my small, crappy earbuds sound like they’re in surround sound. It goes through all the speakers, from the left, middle, right, to even top and bottom speakers. Really cool. And because of this the music itself sounds awesome! The instruments are in all the different speakers. As always, better headphones = better sound. But truly, even some small earbuds sound light years better with this app.
I’ve always been drawn to this song (and artist, as well) ever since that fateful day the movie Warrior came out. It all started when marching band was cancelled on a Friday because the school wouldn’t pay to have us bussed a few hours away. This has never happened in all of band history. So I decided to see a movie with a friend--which ended up being Warrior--because why not celebrate a day off with a gorgeous movie? Especially one starring Tom Hardy, of all people! And wow. Did it turn out to be an amazing movie. Didn’t expect that. We cried like babies in that theater. The part that got me was the song at the end of the movie. Beautiful. Stunning. Tear-inducing. The rest was history, as The National is not one of my favorite bands.
Now, the actual song on the album is great, but I longed for the same rendition that they played for the end of the movie. And thankfully after scouring the internet I found a live performance that matched just that! They performed it live in Germany in 2008 and Ever since I’ve always watched that song whenever I feel the “About Today” feels coming on.
One of my favorite parts about The National is that they use a bunch of different textures! They’re a classical rock band but use backing instruments like strings, trumpets, trombones, etc. And the same goes for this song! I particularly like how most of the drums are played with some soft mallets on the toms. This song is really light so it does not need too much in terms of rhythm, but the toms give it just the right amount it needs! Along with a bit of tambourine and cymbal rolls.
Here are the lyrics in case you felt liky crying today:
Today you were far away
and I didn't ask you why
What could I say
I was far away
You just walked away
and I just watched you
What could I say
How close am I to losing you
Tonight you just close your eyes
and I just watch you
How close am I to losing you
Hey, are you awake
Yeah I'm right here
Well can I ask you about today
How close am I to losing you
How close am I to losing
Yeah. Heart-wrenching. I know. Especially when you put it in contrast with the film. It’s about two lost brothers who are torn because of their father that’s trying to reclaim himself from the favoritism he displayed towards his songs, oh, and also his wife he chased away because of his abuse and died. Man I need to watch this movie again.
In essence...watch the movie. Listen to The National. Cry a lot. It'll be fun, I promise.