I ran into the studio and started up the project. The first thing I fixed was the timing in the shaker and guitar that was standing out. The shaker wasn't hard to fix, but took a little time because the guy we recorded wasn't a big percussion player. However, the rest of the song sounded great and I got right to fixing it up.
I had a little bit more trouble with the EQ than usual; sometimes with the guitar it was hard to pick out the bad frequencies without taking the sound away. However, I found a nice balance when playing around with some of the presets and trying to see what others had done before me.
On the harmony vocals I put a special effect. I eventually came across a setting that made the sound sound like it was going through a plastic tube and gave the vocals a more rounded, smooth sound that I thought was perfect for mixing it into the background.
The first was applied to the lead vocal. Go to the Tweet!
I thought the lead vocals were a little plain so I decided to try out his tip. And it worked really well! Still needed some reverb to sound fantastic but the mixing tip definitely gave it a bit more presence and air.
The next was applied to the double of the lead vocal. Go to the Tweet!
I picked this one in particular to help out the lead vocals more and for the fact that it seemed like the audio was extremely processed by this. I definitley wanted to experiment with very heavy compression so I created a double of the vocal track and applied the tips. It sounded really interesting, so I mixed in just a little bit to help change the audio.
The last tip I used was applied to the master fader. Go to the Tweet!
I picked this one because it seemed like a nice tip that could help with any song I was mixing. I could hear a bit of difference in the song and definitely helped keep the energy up. I'll definitley try this tip with any song I mix from now on!