This song was a lot of fun to mix, as well. The recordings we got were very nice to begin with so touching them up to sound good took a while but was not hard at all. We decided in tracking to have the guitar player double up on the chorus but not on the rest of the song. I also decided to put my surprise distortion on the doubled vocal part during the second chorus. It ended up sounding really different but cool!
After I got all the basics of the mix done I experimented a bit. The mix sounded a bit thin without any bass part as well as the song was very repetitive so I needed to spice it up a bit to keep the attention. In the beginning of the song I added an EQ sweep on the guitar track since it was so repetitive. Also, during the verses, I alternated between the regular drum set sound an an alternate drum set that was run through distortion to give it some variety. Lastly, I doubled some of the guitar parts (both regular and lead) and pitch bended them either an octave up or down to give the mix a little more oomph and thickness to it, especially since we lacked a good bass instrument. All of these little experiments ended up really well and helped keep up the energy of the song as well as give it a few little 'shimmers' to make the song unique.