Click on the 'read more' break, to, y'know, read more!
The tracking session itself went awesome. I was able to setup a while beforehand so I got most of the drum mics set up and tested before the band even came in. Everyone was in the live room except for the keys player, who went into an iso booth with his amp. The rest of the iso booths were used to house amps (as well as the entrance hallway). The live room consisted of then the drumkit, aux percussion setup, two guitar players, and a bass player. Right away we were able to knock out the drumkit and aux percussion after two run throughs of the song. Then, we proceeded to overdub the bass, guitars, and well as a ton of aux percussion. We added a tambourine, shaker, as well as two rounds of handclaps in the live room. At the end, we were just barely able to get done with some harmonies before we had to close up shop.
Here are the images and a video of the mic setups as well as the documentation for our preproduction: