Read more after the break!
A few effects that I thought really helped my mix were interspersed throughout a lot of instruments. On the snare, I put a long reverb. I put a short reverb on the entire drum bus in order to blend the drumset to sound like a whole, but I wanted something a bit more on the snare. So, I put a really long reverb on the snare, but tucked it away a bit so it wasn’t too prevalent. Next, on the timbales I put a delay. I felt like that was the instrument that needed something more to it, since the timbales just come in every once and awhile to punctuate the end of the phrases. I mixed it so that you could hear it, but not so loud that it takes away from whatever the next phrase is after the timbale punch. I also put some extreme compression on the shaker part. This helped me get a super consistent sound with the shaker, as I wanted to tuck it away a bit in the mix and never have it much up front, but for it to be super consistent.
The last major effect I added was the enhancer on the bass and cranked up some of the low and high frequencies in order to make the bass sound better. It was recorded a bit low, maybe because of a problem with the bass itself, but it was enough that with a few adjustments the bass sounded very steady with a compressor on it. I also EQ’d the bass quite a bit in order to really bring out the sound I wanted. I took it up around 70 Hz, 650 Hz, and 5 kHz. I also cut it around 167 Hz, in order to carve some space for the bass drum to shine through.
Overall, I really like the end result of the mix and am excited for the group to hear it!