They were talking about an airline flight that went down in Germany. And of course this would freak me out normally, but it just so happens that I bought my tickets to LA a few days ago so it kinda took me off guard. And then the next topic was that of Ohio trying to implement transgender bathrooms. Which I thought was awesome that it's finally trying to get passed! But a representative said Cincinnati was 'not ready' for such a bill. I guess they have to choose their battles to fight. But eventually they just have to pass it and deal with the consequences.
On a lighter side of things, I was making breakfast this morning (a beautiful combination of cheerios and banana bread muffins) and saw the bananas lying on my counter. I saw those and immediately thought of the wonderful Arrested Development and Bluth's Original Frozen Banana Stand. Because we as we all know, there's always money in the banana stand.
Now for some trending topics from around the globe I found...
On Twitter, here are the top 5.
1. #Germanwings -- Germanwings is a low-cost German airliner. This is trending because one of the planes crashed this morning over France. This would impact a lot of airliners (United, Southwest, etc.) because with a few flights going missing and now one crashing people might not be as willing to fly.
2. #Happy19thBirthdayJackJohnson -- This probably is trending because this is indeed the day Jack Johnson was born and fans all over the world want to wish him a happy birthday. This might impact Jack Johnson himself. It would increase his exposure to people who are not aware of him and might boost sales.
3. #SheDontKnowOniTunes -- An example that goes right along with #2. She Don't Know is a song that just released on iTunes. That is partly why it is popular; it's also popular because Jack Johnson is featured in it and he is also trending right now because it's his birthday.
4. #LIAMHASNOCHILL -- This was inspired when Liam Payne, a member of One Direction, responded back to a Justin Beiber fan that threw a tweet out saying he would never be as popular as Justin. Liam responded back with 'how many times have i been arrested' and that started a war between the two sides. This might impact the campaigns of both stars; it would get them more awareness but also might have a negative impact on sales if it gets out of hand.
5. #InternetASong -- this is a trend where people take a popular song title and 'internet-ify' it. For example, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is changed to "Smells Like Meme Spirit." This would impact the people that own the original songs because it could perhaps trigger a song for someone and they might go and buy it.
Now for Google trends...
1. Darren Sharper -- Sharper is a former football player who recently was tried for a 4-state, 9-case sexual assault/rape case. He entered an Arizona plea deal and was sentenced to 9 years in prison. This will affect things like the National Football League, since one of their former players was charged for rape and imprisoned. This might decrease the people behind the organization and the players therein.
2. National Puppy Day -- This is popular most likely because yesterday was indeed National Puppy Day, so it is obvious why people would be celebrating and sharing their puppies on the internet. This might affect pet stores since people might want to adopt a puppy (PetCo, Humane Society) and small pet accessory companies who sell dog toys, treats, or clothes because people would want to buy something for their puppy for their big day.
3. Bloodbourne -- This is a video game that was just released today, so it is no wonder people are talking about it. It's a game from a major producer for the PS4 so it has had a big campaign and is show to a lot of people. This would definitley effect Sony since this is a big day for sales; it might also effect video game shops (Gamestop) rack up a few sales for people who ordered through their shop.
4. NASCAR -- this company is a HUGE deal to many racing fans and it's no wonder that people would be talking about it at any certain point in time. However, this spike in searches is because of a cation that NASCAR claimed during one of their races that looked controversial. This would hurt NASCAR itself; people might start to not attend events and uphold a company that makes such a sketchy decision.
5. The Voice -- People are talking about his TV show because right now they are in the middle of their season. It is also just after an episode day (they premiere on Mondays and Tuesdays). This would impact TV shows and the stations that host it. With more views comes more money and merchandising gets easier.